Vice President of Policy and Programs
The American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) is an independent nonprofit dedicated to academic freedom, academic excellence, and accountability. The Vice President of Policy and Programs is charged with increasing ACTA’s impact as an organization by developing and overseeing ACTA’s publications and public presentations while maintaining the utmost quality and accuracy; maximizing the effectiveness of ACTA’s materials by working closely with trustees, alumni, and policymakers on behalf of higher education reform; expanding ACTA’s exposure through written and broadcast media; and assisting with fundraising. The Vice President of Policy works with the President to develop and implement strategies for the advancement of ACTA’s mission.
The Vice President of Policy and Programs oversees the content of all programmatic materials—particularly ACTA’s college-guide website, WhatWillTheyLearn.com, and its series of guides, reports, podcasts, and videos. He or she also has oversight responsibility for ensuring appropriate follow-up with and assistance to ACTA constituents, particularly the members of ACTA’s trustee network. The goal of these efforts is to turn ACTA’s existing and future assets and policy proposals into concrete higher education reform.
In keeping with these responsibilities, the Vice President of Policy and Programs shall be responsible for the following tasks:
• Approving and overseeing on the President’s behalf content of all programmatic initiatives, including, but not limited to, reports and guides, correspondence with universities and policy makers, media materials, conferences, and WhatWillTheyLearn.com;
• Contributing to the research and writing of key papers and overseeing staff and consultant products;
• Responding to inquiries from higher education decision makers, especially trustees;
• Reaching out to promising policy makers—including state legislators and governors—proactively on behalf of ACTA;
• Working closely with the Communications Department and representing ACTA in the media and at conferences and other events;
• Writing and editing op-eds;
• Oversight and mentoring of junior program staff;
• Providing input to the President and Vice President of Development on ACTA’s development activities and strategic partnerships, and making occasional donor calls and visits, as appropriate; and
• Advising the President on strategic initiatives such as the Fund for Academic Renewal and accreditation reform.
It is anticipated that the Vice President of Policy should spend most of his or her time overseeing ACTA’s policy output and significant time working directly with constituents by telephone and in person, as well as assisting with fundraising. He or she will report to the President (who has overall responsibility for the organization), working closely with the Vice President of Operations (who oversees office operations and the production of publications), the Director of Trustee Programs, the Program Officer for Curricular Reform, and the Vice President of Development (who oversees fundraising efforts and donor relations).
In accomplishing all tasks, the Vice President of Policy and Programs should take care to foster and develop the confidence of donors and colleagues. He or she must also approach his or her duties as an entrepreneurial enterprise requiring an understanding of and proactive approach to ACTA’s future program plans. He or she is expected to be collegial, dynamic, well-organized, highly motivated, and principled.
This is a senior-level appointment. Candidates for the position should have extensive experience in higher education policy and administration and a record of significant achievement. An advanced academic degree is highly desirable for this position.
ACTA would like to fill the position at the earliest opportunity; those interested in being considered should send a resume and a cover letter with a full description of background, experience, and achievements, as well as a salary history over the last five years to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Administrator Director advances ACTA’s mission of empowering alumni and trustees on behalf of academic excellence, academic freedom, and accountability in higher education by assisting ACTA constituents, coordinating general office operations, and supporting the Vice President of Operations.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Serving as the first point of contact for ACTA’s many constituencies, providing a positive and can-do response in a dynamic office environment; greeting guests.
• Fielding e-mail and phone inquiries from ACTA’s national network of trustees and alumni; directing inquiries to appropriate departments, tracking follow-up, and filing responses in Salesforce.
• Filling publication orders and requests.
• Spearheading ACTA’s hiring process for internships, fellowships, and full-time staff, including posting positions on external websites as well as our own, filtering candidates, coordinating interviews, and following up with department heads.
• Serves as the first point of contact for IT related questions from the staff and coordinates with Vonage/iCore to address any IT issues in conjunction with the Vice President of Operations and the Director of Trustee Programs.
• Undertaking general office upkeep such as cleanliness, organization, filing, supplies, etc.
• Organizing and overseeing regular staff meetings; maintaining office calendars, ordering staff lunches and helping with special occasion celebrations.
• Serving as liaison with the ACTA’s Board of Directors and Council of Scholars, including preparation and organization of board meetings.
• Providing support for special projects and events for ACTA constituents.
• Assisting the Vice President of Operations in ATHENA/Merrill Award planning, outreach, and coordination; overseeing registrations and interacting with attendees, as well as handling vendor contact at all stages and assisting with creative vision of event.
• Providing support to the Vice President of Operations in updating website and managing online presence for events through Eventbrite.
• Assisting the Vice President of Operations in training and prepping new employees, in coordination with the department heads.
• Providing logistical support to the Vice President of Operations for operational needs regarding accounting and yearly audit.
• Providing support to the Vice President of Operations for daily operations of the organization, including interacting with building engineers and maintenance staff.
• Contributing to other writing and research projects as appropriate.
The Administrator Director receives day-to-day supervision from the Vice President of Operations. The Administrator Director must approach these tasks as an entrepreneurial enterprise, requiring an understanding of and proactive approach to ACTA’s program activities. He or she is expected to be personable, dynamic, well organized, highly motivated, and principled, as well as to exhibit the highest degree of personal responsibility, accountability, and honesty.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample to email@example.com.
Keep in Touch, Support Our Work and Learn More
Receive ACTA's Quarterly
Newsletter & Email Updates: